The Walmart corporation operates more than ten thousand retail stores in twenty-seven countries, and employs more than two million employees, so your Walmart job application puts you in a position to join a robust and well-structured worldwide employment opportunity. Since its founding in Arkansas half a century ago, the company has become one of the premier superstores in the United States and elsewhere, drawing the loyal patronage of millions of people who appreciate the consistently low prices, wide selection of products, and the ability to do every type of shopping with a single stop.
The founder, Sam Walton, espoused a personal philosophy of “Save money, live better,” and his stores enable people to do exactly that, even on a tight budget. Walmart stores offer clothing and shoes, jewelry and accessories, medications, health products and home pharmacy supplies, makeup and personal care products, furniture and household items, electronics, automotive and hardware items, toys, pet care products, crafts, sewing, and cleaning supplies, along with full-service pharmacies, groceries and delis (at the “super center” installations which are increasingly common), financial services, photographic services, phone plans and electronic services.
Many locations also offer in-store vision centers, banks, hair salons, and automotive service centers. In short, Walmart is the go-to shopping destination for millions of Americans (and others around the world) and the thriving nature of the business guarantees ongoing employment, as well as opportunities in a number of service capacities.
Walmart also operates a discount membership store called Sam’s Club, which offers products in bulk sizes and at steep discounts with club membership. Operating on a similar model to club stores such as Costco, Sam’s Club also provides store-brand items which are carried in the regular Walmart stores.
One of the noteworthy aspects of Walmart’s employee management philosophy is the “teamwork” approach to store operation. A shopper arriving during shift-change might see the gathered group of employees meeting for change-of-shift communication, and pitching in with a team cheer or other display of enthusiasm for their jobs.
Walmart Online Job Application
A Walmart job application form is available online for every open position. From the “Careers” page, you can choose any of the available job categories, or you can search for a job and its Walmart application form by location or keyword.
Minimum Age for Employment at Walmart
At most locations, anyone of age sixteen or older may submit a Walmart application. Individual stores may have more restrictive age guidelines, however, so you should check with your local store if you are between the ages of sixteen and eighteen.
Walmart Hours of Operation
Most Walmart stores stay open around the clock, with a few exceptions like Christmas Day. Others close overnight, with operating hours such as from eight in the morning until ten at night. One of Walmart’s points of appeal to its customers is accessibility and availability–which can translate for employees to a work schedule full of flexible options. When you submit your Walmart application, you should note any special scheduling requests, and the store will be happy to work around a school schedule or similar commitment.
Entry-Level Walmart Careers and Income
Corporate jobs with Walmart include jobs in the categories of technology, financial and internal audit services, merchandising and replenishment of products, marketing and communications, corporate affairs, logistics and supply chain, asset protection, human resources and benefits, real estate and store planning, and legal. Entry level and hourly positions within the individual stores include cashier and customer service, stockers, greeters, and customer service agents in various departments of the stores.
For store positions, you can choose a general application for in-store hourly positions and click the blue “Apply” button to start your Walmart online application. The distribution centers and transportation system hire stockers, warehouse workers, and drivers. At the corporate level, the company employs the services of marketing and advertising associates, tech support, administrative assistants, accountants, and other logistical support positions. The eCommerce branch of Walmart–handling online ordering from the Walmart website– is based in California and handles online customer accounts, online payments, and the shipping and tracking of the goods themselves. Positions in the eCommerce branch are high-tech in nature, including software engineering and product management, customer operations, finance positions, information technology and technical support, online site merchandising, and online marketing. The complete list of entry-level positions for which you can submit an application for Walmart includes additional areas like manufacturing and production, restaurant and food service, automotive services, baker and food preparation at in-store delis, and maintenance work.
Entry-level jobs begin at minimum wage–an amount that varies with location–but employees have many opportunities for training and advancement to increase their pay and invest in their careers. Future Walmart managers are often “groomed” while working in hourly positions, as Walmart believes strongly in promoting from within, and developing its own employee resources within the existing team.
Walmart is also well known for its open hiring policies regarding people with disabilities and challenges. Positions such as the greeter (who welcomes shoppers, answers questions, and processes items being returned for exchange or refund) are frequently filled by people with disabilities, because a wheelchair or physical challenge doesn’t impede a person’s ability to perform this particular job.
Walmart Careers in Management
Walmart managers often begin their Walmart careers at an entry-level position, availing themselves of the training opportunities to work their way up the company’s ladder of success. Managers are needed to oversee different departments and areas of operation within each store. Store managers are also needed to take on the complex responsibilities of running the store as a whole. A Walmart employment application for any of these positions, accompanied by your professional resume, can set you up with the security of a high starting salary, and the prospect of earning much more with added bonuses and incentives, not to mention raises as you gain experience and seniority.
Depending on cost of living and local economy, Walmart assistant store managers start in the salary range of forty thousand dollars per year, and can make sixty-five thousand or more as they add years of experience and training. Store managers start at sixty thousand dollars annually, and can move into the six-figure range with time and experience. The regional market manager might start at close to 150 thousand dollars annually, and can make as much as four hundred thousand at the top end of the scale.
Basic Tips for Applying at Walmart
- The main “Careers” page of the Walmart website allows you to select a branch of Walmart service from among the options of corporate jobs, in-store jobs, Walmart eCommerce support, logistical support positions, pharmacy and optometry, global sourcing, and Sam’s Club jobs, with a link to the Walmart application online for every available position.
- From the Careers page, click the “Search Jobs & Apply” tab at the top of the screen. You can select your own location as well as set parameters for employment type (full time, part time, or seasonal), and job categories, offered as a long list. You can include keywords and then search for currently open positions.
- When you begin a Walmart application online form for any position, you will be asked to create a login which you can use to complete and submit multiple applications, and to check on the status of existing applications. The application itself will present a series of screens with prompts for you to provide the relevant information for your application.
- The Walmart Careers page also offers an email employment newsletter, for which you can sign up to receive up-to-date career information in your inbox.
Advanced Tips for Applying at Walmart
If you click the “Career Areas” tab of the Walmart Website’s “Careers” page, the menu at the left side of the screen includes the different generalized areas of employment. The “Stores/Clubs” heading has two sub-headings below it: Hourly Career Opportunities, and Management Career Opportunities. On the management page, descriptions of the management responsibilities and the unique team culture are accompanied by brief descriptions of the Walmart field management hierarchy. Individual store locations need store managers (to direct the store’s overall operations, employees, and customer satisfaction), assistant managers (to oversee sales and associates in a designated department or area of the store) and shift managers (to facilitate communication among departments and employees during assigned shifts). For regional areas, the market manager focuses on sales and business growth across several stores in the assigned area.
In applying for a management position with Walmart, you should prepare to submit a resume in addition to your online application form. Numerous resume templates can be found online to help you create one if you don’t have one started already; the resume will contain information like your job history and education, relevant skills and trainings, and of course your contact information so Walmart can call you for an interview!
Benefits at Walmart
Walmart associates enjoy a full package of benefits, both financial and wellness-related. When your Walmart application results in a job as an associate, you can enjoy the health plan designed with input from the employees themselves. Each associate can choose between the Health Reimbursement Account plan (or HRA) or the high-deductible plan linked to a Health Savings Account (or HSA). With each of these plans, preventive care by a designated network health care provider is fully covered, with no out-of-pocket cost, and no lifetime maximum on the coverage.
Dependents up to the age of twenty-six can be included in any employee’s plan, and dependents under nineteen will not be limited by any preexisting condition. After meeting the deductible, eighty percent of eligible medical services are covered, with four dollar options on more than two thousand prescription drugs. Employees also enjoy dental insurance, life insurance paid entirely by Walmart, optional life insurance (including for dependents), critical illness as well as accident insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and an associate eye wear program to cover vision expenses.
Full-time employees get sick days as well as paid vacation days, company-matched contributions to a 401(K) retirement plan, membership at the Sam’s Club discount store, a company stock purchase plan with company matching, and a ten percent Associate Discount Card for Walmart purchases (which can be used by spouses and dependents as well as associates).
Walmart Associates also receive an online login at “MyWalmart.com,” where they can check their hours and work schedule, communicate with co-workers, and track benefits such as sick days and vacation days remaining, contributions to the 401(K), insurance information, bonuses, and more.
Useful and Interesting Facts about Walmart
- Walmart extends a special helping hand to veterans seeking employment. On the “Military” page of the Walmart Career Center online, you can select your military job to see how your skills could translate into a corporate or management position with Walmart. The company recognizes the top-quality training and work ethic of military personnel (and values veterans’ contributions to our country)–and Walmart itself is listed by G.I. Jobs as one of the top 100 Military-Friendly Employers.
- Walmart embraces renewable resources and foundations which aim to make life better for people. The stores continually work to increase energy-efficiency, both in their own operations, and by making energy-conscious choices of suppliers and products. The Walmart Foundation’s involvement with Toys for Tots, USAID and Mercy Corps, Fighting Hunger Together food donation program, the Global Women’s Economic Empowerment Initiative, Walmart Foundation Scholarship programs, international disaster relief efforts, and more than a hundred other causes–along with the presence of products like Fair Trade Coffee on store shelves–speak to this stellar social commitment.
- Walmart connects with its customers by Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and LinkedIn, offering deals and discounts, product information, recipe ideas, book suggestions, and updates on career opportunities.
- For anyone looking for a job that will enable them to travel, Walmart International offers opportunities around the world. Walmart stores in other countries take on different characteristics, with formats and styles suited to local customs and needs. Jobs are waiting in twenty-seven countries, from sub-Saharan Africa to Central and South America and elsewhere.
To access the Walmart Online Application directly, click here.
For more popular job applications, check out: